Monday, February 29, 2016
Hi all. Due to a scheduling conflict, we will be meeting in our alternate location, the Turkish American Friendship Room, on the 4th floor of the Shapiro Library.
Jane Berliss-Vincent, U-M's Assistive Technology Manager, will be our guest speaker. Jane is recently back from the EPUB Accessibility and EDUPUB Alliance Summit in College Park, MD, and will be reporting on the fruitful discussions, demonstrations of innovative products, and significant announcements that took place there. Standards for accessible e-text that directly affect educational materials are still under development and need input from multiple quarters, including end users, publishers, and university representatives.
Hope you can be there!
Monday, November 30, 2015
WAWG = Web Accessibility Working Group
Meeting: Tomorrow, December 1st, 1-2:30, Screening Room in Shapiro - Room 2160
We will be meeting tomorrow. Brandon Werner will be speaking on math accessibility. Specifically, he will cover:
- Brief Introduction to LaTeX. He will talk about the concept of a typesetting language and how it is written in a text editor and compiled to output visually formatted content.
- Reading and Writing LaTeX from a blind prospective using both speech and braille.
- Demonstration of navigating web pages with both Internet Explorer and JAWS as well as Chrome and ChromeVox using MathJax.
We hope you can make it!
Friday, October 2, 2015
We will be convening for our monthly meeting in our usual location, in the 100 N. Hatcher Graduate Library classroom. We will meet for one hour this month to accommodate a class that needs the room at 2pm. In addition to announcements and matters arising, I thought we might do another group critique of a University website. If you would like to "donate" your site to the cause, we would be glad to give you some friendly advice. If nobody volunteers, we can always find something to critique. This is all done in fun in a supportive environment. It is not target practice. :-)
Hope you can make it!
Thursday, August 27, 2015
Tuesday, August 18, 2015
Join us in Ann Arbor for the 6th annual Accessibility Summit, a two-day online conference on web and mobile accessibility, presented by Environments for Humans. Learn about accessibility as it relates to WCAG, PDFs, evaluation tools, and more.
Umich folk and web professionals in the S.E. Michigan area.
The Gallery Room on the first floor of the Harlan Hatcher Graduate Library at the University of Michigan (directions to the library).
Tuesday and Wednesday, September 8-9, 2015 from 9:30 AM to 5:00 PM (EDT)
Attend all day — or only the sessions that you are interested in!
Free, courtesy of the University of Michigan Library and the Office for Institutional Equity. Sign up early to reserve your space. Though the event is free, registration is required in order to plan refreshments and observe the fire code. Do not register at the at the Environments for Humans site to attend this group viewing, unless you wish to pay for a private viewing.
Tentative Speaker Schedule:
Tuesday, September 8, 2015
- 10:00am: Accessibility Professional Certification by Glenda Sims, Senior Accessibility Consultant at Deque
- 11:00am: Future Bliss: Make a Circuit with Me! by Elle Waters, Web Accessibility Evangelist at Simply Accessible
- Noon: Web Accessibility WAI by Sharron Rush, Executive Director of Knowbility
- 1:00pm to 2:00pm: Lunch (on your own)
- 2:00pm The Heart and Mind of Accessibility by Matt May, Accessibility Evangelist at Adobe
- 3:00pm Accessibility in an Agile World by Jesse Hausler, Accessibility Specialist at Salesforce
- 4:00pm: Accessibility and the Language of Love by Dale Cruse, author of HTML5 Multimedia Development Cookbook
- 10:00am: Is It Usable for People with Dsiabilities? by Glenda Sims and Whitney Quesenbery, User Research Experts
- 11:00am: Future Web Accessibility User Testing, UX, and Research by Jared Smith, Accessibility Trainer for WebAIM
- Noon: Apple Watch Accessibility by Paul Adam, Accessibility Evangelist at Deque
- 1:00pm to 2:00pm: Lunch (on your own)
- 2:00pm Usability in PDF and Word Form Creation by Joe Krack, Digital Accessibility Consultant
- 3:00pm Accessibility Testing Tools by Luis Garcia, Accessibility Evangelist at Deque
- 4:00pm: Demystifying WCAG 2 by David MacDonald, President of CanAdapt Solutions, Inc.
- Arrive early to claim your seat and enjoy the free continental breakfast; the opening session begins promptly at 10:00AM.
- Free wifi will be available.
- You are responsible for your own lunch (one-hour lunch break). Lunch is available at the League and from several restaurants within walking distance. There will be afternoon snacks and pop.
- Please contact Scott Williams (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you have questions.
Hope to see you there!!
Monday, February 2, 2015
WAWG/Cool Toys meeting, Tuesday, February 3, TAFR 4004 Shapiro, 1-2 pm.
Note: We will not be meeting in our usual location tomorrow (one time only) and will instead meet in the Turkish American Friendship Room (4004) in the Shapiro Science Library.
Meeting time will be the normal 1-2 p.m.
We will be meeting with our friends in the Cool Toys group to discuss the accessibility of emerging technologies.
Hope you can join us!